Saturday, October 29, 2011

Snooty shoppers

When I shopped at Kroger this week, a lady and I stopped to talk about healthy cookies as we both looked for our favorites. She recommened some new style Fig Newtons that have somehow been flattened. I grew up on the old fashioned Newton in a time where choices were limited.
When I shopped at Central Market with my daughter, she made a comment about the other shoppers being snooty. Of course, I had to run the test. I'm not sure what is happening to me, but I enjoy this kind of thing. Sure enough, I couldn't get one person to even smile except for the friendly people that worked there.
Another observation was the number of older (than me) people working there, especially in a cleaning up after others capacity. I had to wonder if they were working because they want to or because they have to.
I wonder if human behavior can be the basis for a science project. It might be more interesting than dropping liquids on paper towels.
How does shopping in a foo foo store wearing foo foo clothes quality a person to be foo foo?
Just a thought

6 comments:

  1. Maybe it's because I live in California and we are more relaxed around here, but I don't have a problem with snooty shoppers. My concern, though, is when I shop at the large chain stores, and the people are so ill-mannered. Letting kids run wild, not saying excuse me, being pushy about getting in line. Perhaps it's not snootiness in those smaller shops, but rather a busyness that precludes smiling.

    ReplyDelete